Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces almonds, blanched
- 8 ounces unsalted butter
- 8 ounces sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 10-inch springform pan and line bottom with parchment round.
- Spray again and dust with cocoa powder.
- Grind chocolate and almonds in food processor until fine.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add yolks one at a time, beating well.
- Add chocolate/almond mixture and blend well.
- Beat whites to soft peaks.
- Mix 1/3 of whites into chocolate mixture to lighten (it will be stiff).
- Fold remaining whites into chocolate mixture.
- Bake until tests done, about 30 minutes.
- Unmold upside down on to platter.
This cake has a very good chocolate flavor. I would have rated it higher but it turned out so dry that it crumbles when cutting. I don't think I'll be making it again.