The whole cloves of garlic give it a sweet taste. Instead of rosemary, sage and thyme you can use 3 tsp "Italian Herb Seasoning by Spice Islands"
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Rinse chicken in cold water, drain and pat dry.
- Soften butter and mix in seasonings. Place chicken in a roasting pan and rub it with seasoned butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the 20 garlic cloves in and around the chicken (put under the skin, same with some of the butter).
- Add lemon juice to chicken cavity. Add 1/2 c water to pan.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake til chicken is tender (2 -3 hours).
- Remove foil and bake 15 min to brown skin and then serve.
This is excellent! So easy to do and the garlic really wasn't that over-powering and the chicken was moist and tender. I boiled the left over carcass and made the most wonderful chicken rice soup. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag.
Wonderful flavored, moist chicken - When I took the foil off I was surprised to see so much juice, there was approximately two cups that made the most wonderful gravy.I Put the hen back in the oven uncovered for 1/2 hour and it turned golden. Easy, definate do again recipe.ThanksDeb#264582 for posting Made again for Christmas dinner dec. 09 This is one of the best roast chicken recipes ever. The bird is so moist and tasty
So moist and such great flavor! This recipe was very easy to make ~ the only thing I did differently was to roast without covering (just personal preference). I used the Italian seasoning as suggested in the intro. My garlic cloves were HUGE so I halved them to make 20 and putting some under the skin worked wonderfully to season up the meat. Since I roast chicken often and am always looking for great recipes, this will become a regular around here. Thanks for posting!