Recipe by lazyme
A great tasting roasted chicken from the RSVP section of the April 1997 Cooking Light magazine.
Top Review by Zurie
MADE FOR ZWT 4. Oh, what a lovely chicken we had! I used considerably more rosemary than the recipe says, because we love rosemary with chicken. My chicken was only about 3 lbs - we are only two people! (The leftovers will come in handy!) Normally, I would prefer more seasoning on a roast chicken, so I did sprinkle a flavourful vinaigrette over the chicken before adding the extra rosemary, also seasoning salt and black pepper. But it was a plump organic bird, and it was juicy and delicious. I did not follow the cooking time as given, but roasted the bird at 350 F/180 C for 1 1/2 hours. But keep in mind that my bird was 3 lbs and not 6lbs, so a 6lb bird would need a much longer cooking time. The garlic was lovely -- the tops of my bulbs burnt a little because of the vinaigrette shower they had, but it made no diff to their taste! Thanks for an easy meat course!!
- 6 lbs roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 medium red onions, quartered
- 2 heads garlic, whole
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken.
- Rinse chicken under cold water; pat dry.
- Trim excess fat.
- Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers and gently pushing fingers between skin and meat.
- Place rosemary and crushed garlic beneath skin of breast and drumsticks.
- Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan.
- Cut a thin slice from end of each onion.
- Remove white papery skins from garlic heads (do not peel or separate cloves).
- Cut tops off garlic heads, leaving root end intact.
- Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone.
- Bake at 450ºF for 30 minutes.
- Brush onions and garlic heads with olive oil.
- Arrange onions and garlic heads around chicken.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350ºF, bake an additional 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 180ºF.
- Cover chicken loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes.
- Discard skin from chicken.
- Squeeze roasted heads of garlic to extract pulp; serve as a spread on French bread, if desired.