Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A favorite side dish veggie I often make for my family. Don't walk away from the pan - broccoli cooks very quickly and you need to check it soon to prevent it overcooking. Sometimes it will take a little longer to cook, other times it will take a little less. I have a glass lid on my saucepan, so I can see when it is ready - it gets very bright green when it is ready, then very quickly starts to turn olive green if it cooks a little too long. I like mine tender, but still a little crispy - the longer you cook it, the softer it gets, but you also lose that lovely color. It is up to you.
- 453.59 g fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 14.79 ml lemon juice
- 2.46 ml garlic, minced
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- Set florets into a saucepan with a very small amount of water, cover with lid, and let steam until tender,about 5-10 minutes or so- it should still be bright green, but fork tender (if you like it softer, cook it longer, but it will turn olive green).
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drain broccoli and place in serving dish.
- Pour lemon mixture over broccoli and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
I have been looking for a great broccoli recipe, and I think I have found it. Only change I made was to add 2-3 cloves of garlic, and do leave out the lemon juice (personal preferance). Thanks so much for sharing! I will have to make this again soon.
Heather, this was great. I added extra garlic and plenty of extra pepper. It is easy enough to make all the time but good enough to serve to guests. It will definatly make regular appearances on my dinner table!
Ahhh, I LOOOVE broccoli!! This is a really tasty way to prepare it. I also added a little more garlic. I decreased the salt to just a sprinkling and added about 1/2 tsp. or so of soy sauce. YUMMY!!! This would also be good with a broccoli/cauliflower mix. Thanks! ~Manda