Cheese and Broccoli Soup
This soup is thicker than soup and thinner than steamed broccoli spears with cheese sauce, but definitely something that you could eat the whole pot of easily. Don't put this on your plate, it goes in a bowl for maximum comfort. Don't need crackers; for something fancy, serve in a bread bowl or with a lovely piece of crusty bread. YUM! I've never frozen this; it usually doesn't last past a second meal.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk (or 3 c. milk, no half & half)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup bagged shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 lb processed cheese, cut into smaller cubes (I use Walmart brand Velveeta)
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen broccoli, chopped into bite-sized pieces (thawing not necessary)
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter. When melted, stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, milk & cream, and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and broccoli. Simmer for 10 minutes. Serve.
- Note: If this is not thick enough for you, make some thickening from cornstarch and water; increase heat to just under boiling and stir in rapidly to prevent lumps.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very quick and easy soup to make. It was very bland so it wasn't for our family. Also if I would make it again I would cook the frozen broccoli before I put it in the soup. Many of the pieces were crunchy still. I still may make this again if I need a quick recipe. The ingredients used are staples in our house which is always a plus when looking for a recipe.Reply