Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe in a National Chicken Cooking Contest Cookbook. The original recipe called to cook the dish in the microwave but I baked mine in the oven and it turned out great.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 (398 ml) canof original tomato sauce
- 2 celery ribs, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 6 garlic cloves, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix together everything but the chicken pieces, in a microwave save bowl. Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- In a 350 degree oven, bake covered with tin foil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until chicken is fully cooked.
- To serve, remove garlic slices and spoon sauce over chicken.
- The original recipe went as follows;.
- When ready to cook, cover baking dish with wax paper and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes. Turn chicken, cover again and microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes. If fork cannot be inserted in chicken with ease, return to microwave for brief additional cooking.