Crispy Herb Baked Chicken
- Ready In:
- 2⁄3 cup instant potato flakes
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/3 cup vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 3⁄4 - 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a cookie sheet or 9x13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In medium bowl, combine potato flakes, Parmesan cheese, parsley flakes and garlic powder; mix well.
- Spray chicken with non-stick cooking spray; roll in potato flake mixture to coat.
- Place in cookie sheet or pan.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I dipped the chicken in a beaten egg instead of spraying it with cooking spray (I also just coated the dish in butter instead of spray). I didn't have garlic powder so I just used seasoning salt. Everyone loved it! I was pretty hesitant to try this because potato flakes don't seem like they should go on chicken, but I wanted to get rid of the half-bag of them that were in the pantry. I can't believe how great it is! This is going to be a regular at our house.
I took under advisement Troop Angel's review about the blandness. I used the full teaspoon of garlic, added 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper. It was great! I will make this again with the added spices. Next time I might add a full teaspoon of black pepper or maybe a pinch of cayenne for a little punch. The flavors of the parmesean cheese combined with the flakes and spices were terrific. By the way I used a spray olive oil and coated both sides of the chicken pieces before breading. The breading stayed well on the pieces.
I liked this dish. It came out nice and golden and crispy. I had fun with my fiance as he tried to guess the "secret" ingredient (the potato flakes). The picky boys ate it, which was a relief. I had a little problem getting the coating to stick to the cooking spray, so I drizzled just a little bit of olive oil over them, gave a nice flavor. I will probably make this again, it was very quick and easy to prepare.
I was really hoping that this would turn out better than it did. I thought the coating was bland, it just didn't really have a taste to it. And maybe I used too much coating, but the coating on the bottom of the chicken turned to mashed potatoes; so it wasn't crispy at all, more like mush. The top really wasn't crispy either like I was hoping. It smelled good cooking, but for me and my family, just didn't taste as good as it smelled. Sorry, I really wanted it to work out. :(