Recipe by Sazza
I got this recipe out of the guidebook supplied in the 'Quick Cleanse 15 day detox'. This is like a vegetarian shepherds pie. I usually make it without the mushrooms (don't like them) and add some zucchini or whatever is on hand. I also tend to use red lentils because they don't need to be soaked. Prep time does not include time taken for soaking the lentils.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup broccoli floret
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free vegetable seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sodium-free tamari
- 3⁄4 cup sodium-free vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the lentils for 2 hours or overnight, drain and rinse.
- Add fresh water and bring to the boil in a large saucepan with the onion powder.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and saute onion, garlic and mushrooms for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables and saute a further 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, seasoning, tamari, vegetable stock, herbs and tomato paste.
- Stir over heat until combined and simmer 5 minutes. Mixture should be fairly thick.
- Turn into a 5cm deep dish, top with mashed potato.
- If you're not a strict vegetarian sprinkle some grated cheese on top.
- Mark attractively with a fork and brown in a hot oven 15 minutes.
- Serve with side salad or vegetables.