Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Even when you're doing low carbs you can still have stuffed chicken.
- 9 ounces parsnips, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb new potato, scrubbed
- 1 lb baby carrots, trimmed
- salt and pepper
- To make the stuffing, put the parsnips and chopped carrots into a pan, half cover with water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender.
- Drain well, then process in a blender or food processor to a smooth puree.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Mix the bread crumbs, nutmeg and parsley into puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put stuffing into neck end of chicken and push a little under the skin over the breast meat.
- Secure flap of skin with a small metal skewer or toothpick.
- Place the bunch of parsley and onion inside the cavity of the chicken, then place chicken in a large roasting pan.
- Spread butter over skin and season with salt and pepper, cover with foil and place in preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet and lightly brown potatoes.
- Transfer potatoes to roasting pan and add the baby carrots.
- Baste chicken and continue to cook for a further hour, basting after 30 minutes.
- Remove foil for last 20 minutes to let the skin crisp.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.