Recipe by strangelittlebeast
Sweet chickpeas?Well,it's definitely unique,but it's also really good.it's dense,moist,and very sweet. This is probably kin to burfi or halva way back on the family tree-my guess is this is a recipe introduced by the Moors and adapted by the Spanish. Cooking your own chickpeas is preferable since they will always have a fresher nuttier taste and canned ones can be tinny.That being said, the recipe won't be a disaster if you use them.Definitely do not make these with leftover chickpeas that have already been seasoned with something savory.And yes,you should go ahead and skin them,it's worth the trouble. This has a lot of orange peel and is very sweet;if you like you can reduce the sugar down to about 3/4 cup and it should still turn out great.Adapted from original recipe in the Practical Encyclopedia of Mexican Cooking.
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas, unseasoned (garbanzos)
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups unrefined sugar, divided
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 medium orange.zest and juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F .Grease a small loaf pan.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and rub them briskly between the palms of your hands to remove the skins.Run water into the bowl to rinse chickpeas thoroughly and remove the skins which will float to the top.Drain the chickpeas well.
- Blend the chickpeas to a puree in a food processor or blender.
- Beat the eggs thoroughly and add to the chickpeas.Add 1 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon,and baking powder.
- Zest the orange,finely avoiding the white pith;add this as well as the juice to the mixture and mix well.
- Pour into the pan,smooth the surface,and bake for about 1 1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- While the cake is baking mix the remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup sugar.When the cake is cool,sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.
- Cut into small brownie-sized squares or slices about 1''.Serve in small portions cold or at room temperature for best flavor.