Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A hearty beef & bean chili to warm up even the coldest nights!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs lean ground chuck
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- sour cream, for topping
- grated cheddar cheese, for topping
- pickled jalapeno pepper, chiles for topping
- sliced scallion, for topping
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil over high heat. Working in batches, brown the beef for 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pot. Add the onions and stir over medium-low heat until soft, 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and 3 cups water, scraping the pan. Return the meat to the pot. Stir in the chile powder, cumin, oregano, 1 tablespoons coarse salt, 112 teaspoons pepper and the cayenne; cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cook, stirring, for 40 minutes.
- Skim the fat from the surface. Stir in the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Serve with the toppings.