Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Carrots and orange combine with zingy ginger, cinnamon and toasted cumin in this simple to make, lip smacking soup.
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 11 ounces carrots, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the carrots, cinnamon and ginger and stir for a few minutes.
- Pour in the water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots are cooked.
- In the meantime, toast the cumin seeds in a saucepan until dark and grind to a powder in a mortar; set aside.
- Liquidize the carrot mixture in a blender until smooth.
- Add the orange juice, sugar, ground cumin and salt to taste. Reheat and serve immediately.