Recipe by Ciocia Laura
i began with Recipezaar's Ga Kho but was in a BIG hurry and misread the directions. That, plus my usual tweaking, left me with a wonderful dish which is even quicker to prepare. Enjoy!
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
I really liked this! I made it with chicken thighs and drumsticks. I had to use a regular lime and brown sugar and I could not find galangal for the life of me, so I subbed in ginger. This is so good, I may break it out for girls night! Made for PAC Spring '11
- 6 pieces chicken (i used 3 whole legs, cut up)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (thick)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime, juice of (Kaffir lime as pos.)
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons palm sugar (substitute brown)
- 2 inches galangal, finely grated
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 long shallots or 3 round shallots, finely diced
- 5 -6 black peppercorns, freshly crushed or ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Into a covered (you can cover with parchment or aluminium foil since you'll be removing it later) casserole add oil, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
- Stir just a bit.
- (It is not necessary to dissolve the sugar.) Using a microplane grater (try www. leevalley. com) grate galangal and garlic.
- Add to casserole with shallot (s) and black pepper.
- Add chicken and toss with"sauce".
- Freshly squeeze the lime juice over the whole mess and toss again.
- Cover casserole and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake until nicely browned and meat pulls away from bones.