Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
i began with Recipezaar's Ga Kho but was in a BIG hurry and misread the directions. That, plus my usual tweaking, left me with a wonderful dish which is even quicker to prepare. Enjoy!
- 6 pieces chicken (i used 3 whole legs, cut up)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (thick)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lime, juice of (Kaffir lime as pos.)
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons palm sugar (substitute brown)
- 2 inches galangal, finely grated
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 long shallots or 3 round shallots, finely diced
- 5 -6 black peppercorns, freshly crushed or ground
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Into a covered (you can cover with parchment or aluminium foil since you'll be removing it later) casserole add oil, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
- Stir just a bit.
- (It is not necessary to dissolve the sugar.) Using a microplane grater (try www. leevalley. com) grate galangal and garlic.
- Add to casserole with shallot (s) and black pepper.
- Add chicken and toss with"sauce".
- Freshly squeeze the lime juice over the whole mess and toss again.
- Cover casserole and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake until nicely browned and meat pulls away from bones.
I really liked this! I made it with chicken thighs and drumsticks. I had to use a regular lime and brown sugar and I could not find galangal for the life of me, so I subbed in ginger. This is so good, I may break it out for girls night! Made for PAC Spring '11
This dish was delicious - very tender and tasty! I made this for 8 adults and 4 kids, and everyone loved it, except for maybe one kid. I followed the ingredients exactly - using skinless chicken thighs, except I had to use regular limes. I did add some slivered kaffir lime leaves. Since I served this on a group vacation, I mixed all the sauce stuff together ahead of time; before dinner, I simply had to put it in the pan and coat the chicken with it. At the end, I defatted the juices to serve alongside the chicken and brown jasmine rice. Since it made so much juice/sauce, next time I might add more chicken to the recipe. (For the rest of my dinner, I served recipe #148317 by this same chef, and also recipe #39531 by chef GinnyP. I HIGHLY recommend both of them.) Thanks for sharing your yummy chicken recipe, Laura!