Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Cooking Light November 2000
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 2 tablespoons stick margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons fat-free caramel topping
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish with cooking spray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon sugar. Set aside.
- Combine cocoa and hot water in a bowl. Stir well; set aside.
- Melt margarine in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add milk, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt; cook 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add cocoa mixture; stir well. Spoon into a large bowl; let cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites (at room temperature) at high speed of a mixer until foamy. Add 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently fold 1 cup egg white mixture into cocoa mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Spoon into prepared soufflé dish.
- Bake at 375° for 35 minutes or until puffy and set. Remove from oven; serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled with Warm Turtle Sauce.
- Warm Turtle Sauce.
- Place caramel syrup in a small bowl; microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until warm. Stir in pecans.