Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Instant coffee in the batter intensifies the chocolate flavor. Beating the sugar and eggs together gives the baked brownies a crackly surface.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place sugar and eggs in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until thick and pale (about 5 minutes). Combine hot water and coffee granules, stirring until coffee granules dissolve. Add coffee mixture, butter, and vanilla extract to sugar mixture; beat at low speed until combined.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, stirring just until moist (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 325° for 23 minutes or until brownies spring back when touched lightly in center. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Garnish brownies with powdered sugar, if desired.
These were a great disappointment. My daughter (home from college) and I were craving fudgy brownies and followed this recipe to the letter. The brownies are not sweet enough, and the texture was spongy. If you pressed the top, it sprang back. Nobody in the (full) house wanted these and they went into the trash. Sorry, but this was a fail for us.