Recipe by HisPixie
From the King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion. These are cookies that taste like brownies! My family gave them 2 thumbs up!
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder (didn't use) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Melt the chocolate and butter together (double boiler or microwave). Stir until well melted.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and eggs until thoroughly combined. Add the espresso powder (optional), vanilla, baking powder and salt, then stir into melted chocolate, mixing well.
- Stir in the flour. Let the batter sit for at least 5 minutes to thicken; it should be the consistency of thick cake batter.
- Drop the cookie dough in round blobs onto a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet. Leave about 2 inches in between dough balls (mine were never "balls" but more liquidy). You may place a nonpareil or kiss in the middle, if desired (I didn't).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes,until the tops are shiny and cracked. You want them to bake all the way through but just barely; additional baking time will make them cakey and not fudgy.
- Remove cookies from oven, wait 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool.