Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This hearty quick bread is easy to make and keeps well. Recipe found at inmamaskitchen.com
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup plain flour (can be whole-meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 cups dried fruit (diced apricots, sultanas or mixed fruit, cranberries, currants, dates, etc)
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts
- 1 lemon, Zest and juice
- 1 tablespoon marmalade or 1 tablespoon fig jam
- 4 eggs
- 7 1⁄2 ounces oil (Sunflower or canola)
- 1 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together the first nine ingredients (flours through jam).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, oil and sugar.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray. Fill with cake batter.
- Bake in a preheated moderate oven 165° C (350° F) for 1 hr 45 minutes or until cooked right through - test with skewer.
- If the top begins to brown too quickly place a sheet of foil over the cake and remove 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and place on a rack for 5 minutes then turn out and leave until cold before storing in an air-tight container.
Kind of a cross between a spice cake and a fruit cake. Learned real quick to wear gloves when grating beetroot! Thanks for a cool way to get in the veggies loof! Made for ZWT8 trip to Australia / New Zealand.