Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This nice fruit Tostada makes a good breakfast. Can change the fruit to fit what is currently in season.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 (7 inch) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 -2 tablespoon of fresh mint or 1 -2 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 banana, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1⁄2 pint fresh strawberries, small quartered
- 4 mint sprigs or 4 basil sprigs, garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine water and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Lightly coat both sides of tortillas with spray. Brush each side with water mixture.
- Place on wire rack on baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes or till lightly browned.
- Combine ricotta, yogurt, 1tablespoon lemon juice, sugar, lemon peel and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a small bowl.
- Spread equal amounts on all 4 tortillas leaving about 1/4 inch edge.
- Place 1 tablespoon lemon juice, orange, mint or basil, banana, and strawberries in a bowl and gently toss to combine. Spoon equal amounts on top of each tostada.
- Garnish with mint or basil sprigs.
I didn't have any flour tortillas on hand and didn't have time to make any but corn tortillas worked out well. I replaced the ricotta with cottage cheese and instead of stirring the yogurt and fruit together I added them in layers. The fruit used: blueberries, oranges, golden kiwi, nectarines, bananas and strawberries. I think I would prefer flour tortillas over corn. Perfect for breakfast, brunch or light snack! Will make again! Reviewed for Veg Tag/September.
I cut this recipe in half, then making it as given, we had a great tasting, very enjoyable breakfast! Adding that to the fruit smoothie we had, I think we got a day's allotment of fruit! Very easy to make & a delight to consume! Many thanks for the recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
What a yummy fruity and fun breakfast!! I got a phone call as I was baking the tostada and accidently cooked a little too long, but it was still good. Loved the contrast of smooth creamy sauce with the crispy tostada and fruit. For the fruits I chose to use the same as written in the recipe. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT 7.