Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Combines winter squash with the season's finest apples and cranberries.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped unpeeled tart apples
- 3⁄4 cup fresh cranberries or 3⁄4 cup frozen cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds.
- Place squash cut side down in an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Add 1 inch of hot water to the dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350* for 30 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; spoon into squash. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
Delicious and perfect for Fall/Winter menus. I eliminated the salt & added additional nutmeg to better match my tastes. Very easy to make.
This was very easy to make. It gave me the opportunity to find, purchase and fix acorn squash and "real" cranberries which I never seen before. Very interesting.