Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A moist and flavorful quick bread I adapted from a recipe I found in the newspaper. Excellent served with cream cheese. You'll need: 6 (15 ounce) empty clean vegetable or fruit cans
- 6 ounces chopped dried cherries
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup golden raisin
- Preheat oven to 325°F Grease the insides of cans well.
- Combine chopped cherries and baking soda in a bowl. Pour in boiling water and let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening and eggs in a large bowl. Using a mixer, beat at medium-high speed until creamy. Add salt, molasses, the cherry mixture and flour and stir until well blended. Add nuts and raisins; mix well.
- Fill cans about two-thirds full with batter. Bake about 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in cans on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove bread from can and place on wire rack to cook completely.