Recipe by ~heidi~
From Better Homes & Garden's "Homemade Bread Cookbook." I think I first made this recipe when I was about 11. The original recipe uses cherry preserves, but you could use any fruit flavor.
- 3⁄4 cup fruit preserves
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 individual package)
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup light cream (half 'n' half)
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Soften yeast in the warm water.
- Make the fruit filling: mix well the preserves, 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup almonds, and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Mixer bowl: Cream together butter, sugar, salt. Add 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk (reserving the white), one at a time, to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in 4 cups flour alternately with the yeast and light cream. Mix, but do not beat. Set aside 1 cup of the dough and spread the remainder in 2 well greased 9x9x2 inch baking pans. Cover both dough squares in each pan with the pie filling.
- Lattice top: blend 1/4 cup flour into reserved dough. Roll out on floured surface to a 9-inch square and cut into 16 strips.
- Arrange 8 strips in lattice pattern over fruit filling in each pan.
- Beat together reserved egg white and water; brush over strips of dough. Cover and let rise in warm place till touble (1 to 1 1/4 hours).
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Bake both cakes for 20 to 25 minutes.