Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tasty and healthy fruit bread that makes an ideal quick breakfast or snack. For kids and adults from The Organic Baby and Toddler Cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup good-quality vegetable oil or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup carrots (I use both) or 3⁄4 cup apple, grated (I use both)
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 2⁄3 cup self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries or 1⁄2 cup prune
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest or 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream the oil or butter with the honey in a mixing bowl. Gradually beat in the egg. Mix in the carrots or apples, bananas and flour (All-purpose flour may be used with 1/2 tsp baking powder); add the raisins, cherries, cranberries, or prunes and zest. Add a little extra flour, if necessary, until spoon stands upright in the mixture.
- Turn the mixture into a greased 7in shallow, square cake pan and level the surface. Bake until golden brown, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then lightly score into finger-shaped slices using a sharp knife. Cool completely in the pan, then cut into fingers and serve.
This is delicious! I used both carrot and apple, and I used sultanas as the dried fruit. Next time, I will double the recipe, and bake it in a loaf pan. Great recipe, thanks for sharing it! [Made for Fall 08 Pick-A-Chef]
What a tasty treat this is! It's like banana bread, but...a healthier, jazzed up version! My kids are going to love this for snacks, or for a special breakfast! Try adding both carrots and apples (vs. just one or the other), and I'm adding in an extra banana! Thanks for the great recipe. We LOVE this one!!!!