Prep 8 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Your guests will love this "Do-ahead" so easy on you dessert. It is worth taking a little time to decorate before serving. If you are doing it for one of your Christmas meals decorate with marzipan holly leaves and berries. If you are making it in strawberry season use fresh berriesThis recipe was originally from Canadian Living Magazine Christmas l993
- 1 (1 lb) package poundcake, cubed (or make your own)
- 1⁄4 cup white rum
- 2 (300 g) packages frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind (or lime)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (or lime)
- 1⁄3 cup white rum
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 4 strawberries, halved
- 2 slices lemons or 2 slices limes, quartered
- Strawberry Custard: In a food processor or blender, puree the strawberries and pour into a heavy saucepan.
- Add eggs, egg yolks, sugar, butter,lemon rind,& lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 15-20 minutes or until thickened and the mixture coats a spoon Cool completelely then stir in the rum.
- Whip the cream, whisk one quarter of it into the cooled custard.
- Fold in remaining whipped cream.
- Line a 9: Springform pan with waxed paper, extend 1" above the rim of the pan arrange half of the cake cubes over the bottom, drizzle with half the rum.
- Spoon half the custard over top.
- Repeat with remaining cake, rum and custard.
- Smooth the top.
- Cover and freeze at least 8 hours or up to 2 weeks.
- When serving let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours.
- Pipe a little whipped cream around the edges decorate with strawberries& lemon slices (Quartered).
- Remove sides of the pan and the waxed paper.