Prep 40 mins
Cook 25 hrs
This can be made ahead; cover and freeze up to 2 days.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, cut up
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix crumbs and butter in small bowl until evenly moistened. Press into bottom and side of 9-inch pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Freeze crust 1 hour.
- Puree raspberries in food processor or blender. Strain through fine sieve into 4-cup microwaveproof measure.
- Stir in sugar and cornstarch and add butter. Cover with plastic wrap, turning back one section to vent.
- Microwave on high, stirring once, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Whisk until smooth, then cool to room temperature.
- Spread 1 pint ice cream evenly over crust and cover with 1 cup raspberry mixture.
- Freeze 30 minutes. Cover pie and freeze overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450. Beat egg whites and salt in mixer bowl at medium speed to soft peaks. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until stiff.
- Unwrap frozen pie. Spread meringue with spatula to completely cover top of pie, mounding more meringue in center. Swirl meringue with back of spoon to form peaks.
- Bake 2 minutes or until topping is just browned. Immediately place in freezer and freeze at least 1 hour.