Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A different take on favorite Thanksgiving flavors, this beautiful do-ahead pumpkin dessert is made even easier by the use of purchased sauce. Prep time includes 8 hours chill time. From Bon Apetit.
- 3 cups pecans, toasted (about 11 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 cup firmly packed golden brown sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecan halves, toasted (about 5 1/2 ounces)
- 1 (17 ounce) jarbutterscotch caramel fudge sauce
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 350.
- Finely chop nuts and sugar in food processor.
- Add butter and blend, using on/off turns, until moist crumbs form.
- Using plastic wrap as aid, press mixture onto bottom and all the way up sides of a 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 2 3/4-inch-high sides, covering completely.
- Freeze 10 minutes.
- Bake crust until golden, about 10 minutes.
- For Filling: Whisk 1 cup cream, sugar and yolks in heavy medium saucepan.
- Stir constantly over medium heat until candy thermometer registers 160, about 6 minutes.
- Strain into large bowl.
- Using electric mixer, beat mixture until cool and slightly thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Beat in pumpkin, corn syrup, rum and spices.
- Using electric mixer, beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream in large bowl to medium-stiff peaks.
- Fold cream into pumpkin mixture.
- Transfer filling to crust.
- Cover and freeze overnight.
- For topping: Arrange pecans side by side atop torte, covering completely.
- Drizzle 1/2 cup caramel sauce over, covering nuts completely (pan will be filled to top).
- Freeze until caramel sets, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- To Serve: Run sharp knife around pan sides to loosen torte.
- Release pan sides.
- Stir remaining caramel sauce in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until warm.
- Slice torte and serve with sauce.