Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a traditional recipe for Thanksgiving/Christmas from my husband's side of the family from Omaha, Nebraska. A delicious, addictive and very simple dish.
- 2 (13 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 1 (3 ounce) package lime Jell-O gelatin
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- 7 ounces butter mints, shaved
- 1 pint whipping cream (or 2 envelopes Dream Whip )
- 1⁄4 cup chopped toasted pecans (optional)
- Mix undrained pineapple with dry Jell-O.
- Fold in one package mini-marshmallows.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Next day, add shaved buttermints, whipping cream/Dream Whip and optional nuts to mixture.
- Pour into 9x13 pan and freeze.
This recipe is one of my family's favorites, too! The original recipe comes from The Kitchen-Klatter Cookbook, 1973. Kitchen-Klatter was a radio cooking show that came on 740 AM (KRMG) from the 1960s to the 1980s. My grandmother relied on thier recipes and had collected several of their cookbooks before the show went off the air.
My niece made this for a party and I loved it! Her recipe says to crush the buttermints and to whip the whipping cream until stiff before adding it to the dessert, but otherwise it is the same. She used colored marshmellows and it was really pretty as well as extremely tasty.