Recipe by strangelittlebeast
My favorite way to make refried beans.Especially good for vegetarians-you get the good,smoky flavor without lard,a nice kick from the chipotles too,and a dish that's still authentic.The epazote is classic.It's used all over Mexico in bean dishes(it's said to be a digestive aid) .Epazote does have a pungent flavor and aroma that's a bit of an acquired taste,so if you don't like it,or it's unavailable where you live,cilantro makes a fine substitute.Use the lesser amount of chipotles for a milder dish-they can be surprisingly spicy-I like to use a lot.Btw;for best results,use homemade beans.This serves 4 as a side dish;I like to eat this for lunch as my protein,in which case it makes 2 large servings.
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon fresh epazote or 1 tablespoon cilantro
- 2 -4 chipotle chiles in adobo (canned chipotles)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon adobo sauce (from the can)
- 1⁄4 cup water or 1⁄4 cup broth from the beans
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Prep:chop the onion finely,mince the garlic,finely mince epazote or cilantro,chop chipotles ,and run your knife back over them until they are chopped to a paste with a few bits and pieces left.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the oil.When hot,add the onions and fry,stirring occasionly ,until soft;add garlic and cook until the onion is slightly browned about 2 more minutes.Add cumin seeds and oregano,crumbling them with your fingers.After a few seconds add epazote,beans,and chipotles.
- Cook until the beans are completely heated through;you may need to add up to 1/4 cup of liquid to keep from burning(ideally use the cooking liquid from the beans,but water will do in a pinch)Mash the beans to a paste with a potato masher or heavy fork.Add adobo sauce.Season to taste with salt and pepper.Cook until they are as thick as you like.
- Some good toppings(optional):sour cream or crema;minced cilantro;green onion;radishes;chipotle flavored tabasco;queso fresco;avocado slices;.