Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Looking for something different to do with your summer green beans? This is one to try. As stated by the author, "This spread is fantastic served on crusty bread, crackers, or rice cakes. From the Barbara Kingsolver Book: 'Animal, Vegetable, Miracle' which I highly recommend reading. I was greatly inspired by her family's year long venture into eating locally. Plus, I ended up with a few new recipes.
- Steam green beans until tender.
- Saute onions over medium heat in oil until transparent.
- Combine beans, cooked onions, eggs, basil, and lemon juice in food processor and blend into coarse paste.
- Remove puree to a bowl and combine with enough mayo or yogurt to hold mixture together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip:You can steam the eggs to hard boil them, same as you would anything else. They take about 12 minutes to cook. Much easier to do and eggs peel nicely.
What a great, unique way to use green beans! I just put this out on the table as an appetizer and my boys dug in. They kept asking what was in it and I kept saying nothing you don't like. Very easy to do. Made for Aussie Tag.