1/1 Photo of Friendship Brandy Fruit Starter
Kat's Mom's Note:
This version of fruit starter uses brandy, not yeast, just to get things started. This delightful concoction is used in cake mixes and served over ice cream or pound cake. It gets its name because you share it with friends so it makes a great gift in a pretty jar. You will need a place to keep a large jar at room temperature. It takes a couple of minutes daily for "care and feeding", but the smell alone is worth it! Possible substitutions or additions: fruit cocktail, apricots, mandarin oranges or pears. Finally found this version on www.CooksRecipes.com since my grown daughter, Kat is allergic to yeast. NOTE: Since this is fermented, this fruit is not for kids unless used in baking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1TO START: Combine all ingredients in a clean, large glass jar.
- 2Stir gently with wooden spoon.
- 3Cover and let stand at room temperature for three weeks, stirring at least twice a week.
- 4Fruit is fermented when it is translucent.
- 5CARE AND FEEDING: Stir mixture daily.
- 6Every two weeks add one cup sugar and one cup of fruit and stir gently. Alternate fruits each time.
- 7Cover and let stand at room temperature at least three days before using.
- 8Do not add fruit more often than once every two weeks.
- 9Do not delay adding fruit for more than one or two days past schedule.
- 10IMPORTANT: To keep the starter going, retain at least three cups at all times.
- 11SHARING: Whenever you have more than six cups of fermented fruit, you may divide it into two portions, being sure there are at least three cups in each portion.
- 12Do this just before you would do a normal feeding.
- 13Feed each portion.
- 14Give one portion to a friend (with Care and Feeding directions) and keep one for yourself.
- 15Search on "friendship fruit" to find recipes that use this.
- 16There is also a Friendship Sourdough Starter (Recipe #647936) - yum!
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Friendship Brandy Fruit Starter
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 0.1 g