Prep 8 mins
Cook 2 mins
These little wonders are great on their own or used in Bacon-Wrapped Burger With Fried Pickles & Slaw. I know this sounds strange but you'll be amazed at how good these are!.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or as much as you like)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups sliced pickled vegetables or 3 cups dill pickles or 3 cups jalapeno peppers or 3 cups pepperoncini peppers or 3 cups pitted green olives
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (or sour milk*)
- peanut oil or vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels; set aside. In a large resealable plastic bag combine flour, cornmeal, pepper, cayenne and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Drain pickled vegetables of choice and place in a medium bowl. Pour buttermilk over pickled vegetables, stirring to coat.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan heat 2 inches oil over medium heat to 375 degrees F.
- Place a handful of buttermilk-coated pickled vegetables into the flour mixture in bag; seal bag and shake to coat. Remove pickled vegetables, shaking off excess flour mixture.
- Using a slotted spoon, place vegetables in hot oil. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pickled vegetables to prepared baking sheet; keep warm, uncovered, in oven. Repeat with remaining pickled vegetables.
- To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.