"After years of appearing on American dinner tables mostly as an ethnic specialty (as eggplant parmigiana, say, or maybe in a Szechuan-style stir-fry), eggplant has arrived as a mainstream food in this country." Saveur Magazine,1994. Anyway you cook it, I love it. This way it is so delicious! This can be an appetizer, side or the entire meal - that is the way I like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place flour in a shallow bowl.
- 2Whisk wine into flour, beating until batter is smooth and the consistency of thin pancake batter, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Preheat oven to 200°F
- 4Salt or freeze eggplant slices to lessen bitterness and remove excess moisture.
- 5Pour vegetable oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of 2".
- 6Heat oil to 375°F or until it sizzles when you drop in a little batter. (If oil isn't hot enough, eggplant will absorb too much of it.)
- 7Dip eggplant slices in batter, then place into oil—as many at a time as you can without crowding the pan.
- 8Fry until golden, cooking on both sides, then drain on paper towels.
- 9Keep fried slices warm in oven.
- 10When all eggplant slices are cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Eggplant
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.9
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 6.3 g