Recipe by Derf
Nice on a Sunday brunch table from Cooking Light, 1988.
Top Review by HeatherFeather
Very good, different dish. I was intrigued by the use of rice in creating the crust for this quiche - and really enjoyed it. A nice blend of vegetables and seasonings and clear, accurate instructions.
- 2 cups cooked long-grain rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped fresh broccoli
- 1 cup chopped fresh cauliflower
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cooked rice, 1 egg, 1/4 cup cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl, stir well.
- Press mixture into a 9 inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 5 minutes, set aside.
- Place chopped broccoli and cauliflower in a vegetable steamer over boiling water, cover and steam 5 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Arrange broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot in rice shell.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, and next 5 ingredients in a small bowl, stir well, pour over cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes or until set.
- Let stand 5 minutes, serve warm.