Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
My daughter works at an Italian restaurant and brought home something similar to this. We experimented and here it is. I love the fact that this doesn't need to be cooked--it's so fresh! The better your tomatoes are, the better this will be. I like to use grape tomatoes or roma. Please feel free to adjust any ingredient amounts to your taste. I love the capers in this and will usually add more, and 1/4 C oil is plenty for me. Cook time is for your pasta. (You can add very thin slivers of sweet or red onion, though I haven't tried it).
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can black olives, chopped small
- 1 cup artichoke heart, chopped small
- 1⁄4 cup capers
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil (I like to snip it with kitchen shears right into the measuring cup)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning, more to taste
- 3 -5 dashes Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- salt & pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- Mix all ingredients, taste, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Put aside to let flavors blend (not in frig!) while you cook up your pasta.
- Angel hair works best for this.
- I would use 8 oz, but then I like LOTS of flavor so for some 16 oz of pasta may be fine.
- When pasta is done, drain, then immediately toss with tomato mixture.
- Add more oil if needed.
Every year I look forward to making this with my garden fresh tomatoes. I dream about this dish in the winter. One year I tried it with canned tomatoes and it just wasn't the same. Super fantastic dish.
Freakin' Delicious!!! I used a purple heirloom and a yellow tie-dye heirloom for my tomatoes, an olive mix (not canned), marinated (not canned) artichoke, and left out all the rest. Then I drained the juice and served it on BentSlightly's Properly Prepared Spaghetti Squash. Healthy food should not be this good. :)
It was very tasty and reminded me of a dish they serve at Johnny Carinos. I served this "sauce" with Angel hair pasta. I think it needed something, so i added parmesan cheese. I'll be making agian!!