Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Summer salad to enjoy for dinner or lunch. The 2 hour cook time includes 1/2 hour cool down time for the beans.
- 8 ounces dried black beans
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt, to your taste
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled, remove membranes and cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, deseeded and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup cilantro leaf, coarsley chopped
- In a large glass bowl, combine the orange juice, olive oil and salt, stir well.
- Add the oranges, red bell pepper, celery, green onion and cilantro, stir throughly to coat.
- Chill ingredients in refrigerator while preparing beans Rinse beans and pick over.
- In a medium pot bring 4 cups of water to boil, add beans, reduce heat to simmer, partially cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring ocassionally.
- When beans are tender, drain off water, and allow to cool.
- When beans are cool add to chilled mixture, tossing to coat.
Hi used chick peas as well and it's was wonderful