Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
I just tried this recipe from Bon Appetit. I served it with Ozark Brown Beans. What a great meal!
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 ears)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter 9x9x2" metal baking pan.
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs, and basil in large bowl. Blend cornmeal and next 4 ingredients in processor 5 seconds. Add 1/2 cup butter; blend until coarse meal forms. Add corn kernels. Using 8 on and off turns, blend until kernels are coarsely chopped. Stir dry ingredients into buttermilk mixture; transfer to pan.
- Bake cornbread until golden on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
I was about to add this to Recipezaar and saw your recipe. I added a dash of cayenne pepper and a few grids of fresh black pepper. Then baked it in a glass dish for 40 minutes. Came out moist, delicious, and perfectly browned. Yummm!