1 hr 10 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
An incredibly simple dish that looks and tastes extra special. From "The Cooks Encyclopedia of Chicken" - A"must have for every cookbook shelf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced lightly smoked bacon
- 2 rock cornish hens, just under 1 pound each
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 baby celery hearts, each cut into 4 pieces
- 8 baby carrots
- 2 small zucchini, cut into chunks
- 8 small new potatoes
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- fresh herb, to garnish
- 1Preheat the oven to 375°F Heat the olive oil in a large flame-proof casserole and add the onion, garlic and bacon; sauté 5 to 6 minutes, until the onion has softened.
- 2Brush the hens with a little melted butter and season well.
- 3Lay the hens on top of the onion mixture and place the other vegetables around hens. Add the chicken stock, wine and herbs.
- 4Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then remove the lid and brush with the remaining melted butter; bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until golden.
- 5Transfer the hens to a warmed serving platter and cut each in half with poultry shears.
- 6Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange them around the hens. Cover with foil and keep warm.
- 7Discard the herbs from the pan juices. In a small bowl mix the butter and flour to form a paste. Bring the liquid in the pan to a boil and then whisk in teaspoonfuls of the paste until thickened.
- 8Season the sauce and serve with the Rock Cornish hens and vegetables, garnished with fresh herbs.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French - Style Pot Roasted Rock Cornish Game Hens
Serving Size: 1 (819 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 828.5
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 195.7 mg
- Sodium 419.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 40.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: