1/1 Photo of French Stuffed Onions
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 20 mins
French chef Georges August Escoffier, founder of the Ritz Hotel in Paris, France and one of the great chefs of all time, codified many of the classic recipes of France at the turn of the twentieth century. This is one of them, which is still taught to young chefs today! Adapted from The Everything Vegetarian Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium Spanish onions
- 3 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 shallot, chopped (in a pinch use red onions)
- 1 cup mushroom, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups strong vegetable stock (check out The End of All Things Vegetable Broth)
- 1Heat oven to 375*F.
- 2Trim the tops from the onions, cut the roots off, but leave the root core in to hold the onion together. Peel the skins. Blanch the onions in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- 3Scoop out the insides, using a melon ball scoop or spoon, leaving 1/3" walls. Chop the scooped insides, and saute them in 1 teaspoons of the butter.
- 4Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons of butter in a skillet; add the shallots. Cook over medium heat until the mushrooms have wilted, and most of the liquid has evaporated; add the wine and cook until almost dry. Remove from heat; add the chopped parsley. Season well with salt and pepper.
- 5Combine the mushroom mixture with the chopped onion insides, and fill into the onion shells. Place in a small buttered baking dish with the vegetable stock. Cover with foil.
- 6Bake for 1 hour, basting once. Remove the lid halfway through to allow the onions to brown. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Stuffed Onions
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.9
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.5 mg
- Sodium 31.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: