Recipe by Sharon123
Great little appetizers that will get rave reviews! This is a Rachael Ray recipe from her episode:30 Minute Passport to Quebec! Enjoy! I changed these up a little :8
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 12 very thin slices whole wheat bread, crusts trimmed (Pepperidge Farm is good)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme (or poultry seasoning)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 lb good quality swiss cheese, shredded (my also change it up a little and use a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese, or add some)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spray both sides of bread. Wet your fingers with water or olive oil before pressing into cups to hep bread to form more easily and not break. Press bread into small 12 cup muffin tin.
- Place bread in oven and toast until golden, 7 or 8 minutes. Remove and reserve.
- In a skillet, melt butter and oil. Add onions and bay leaf, season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook onions until caramelized, 15-18 minutes.
- Turn broiler on.
- Place spoonfuls of cooked onions in toasted bread cups. Discard bay leaf. Cover onions with cheese and set tarts under hot broiler to bubble and brown cheese. Serve hot.