A perfect appetizer or tapas presentation. Fresh sardines (about the size of a woman's pinky finger) may be substituted if smelt are unavailable. Overnight brining time not included in preparation time. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove small scales with a sharp knife and slit the fish; clean.
- 2After the smelt are cleaned, place in salt water and refrigerate overnight.
- 3Drain very well.
- 4Add salt, pepper, and cream to egg and beat together.
- 5Dip fish into mixture, then roll in cracker crumbs.
- 6Fry in deep hot fat (370F) until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 7Serve with tartar sauce.
Browse Our Top Freshwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Freshwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for French Fried Smelt
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 430.4
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 318.3 mg
- Sodium 364.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 55.9 g