Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very rich, light icing. Once you use this style of buttercream icing, you will never go back to the old standard.
- 8 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces water
- 3 ounces egg yolks
- 10 ounces butter, softened
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces sweet chocolate or 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (optional)
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Continue to boil until the syrup reaches a temperature of 240 degrees F (115 C) While the syrup is boiling, beat the yolks with a wire whip or the whip attachment of a mixer until they are thick and light in color.
- As soon as the syrup reaches 240 F, pour it very slowly (in a thin stream) into the beaten yolks while whipping constantly.
- Continue to beat until the mixture is completely cool and the yolks are very thick and light.
- Whip in the butter a little at a time.
- Add it just as fast as it can be absorbed by the mixture.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- If the icing is too soft, refrigerate it until it is firm enough to spread.
- Chocolate: Melt 3 oz sweet chocolate and cool slightly (chocolate must not be too cool or it will solidify before completely blending with the buttercream).
- Blend with about one quarter of the buttercream, then blend this mixture into the rest.
- For very sweet buttercreams, use 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate instead of the sweet chocolate.
This tastes exactly like what I wanted! I beat the mixture an extra 5 minutes after I was done to make it really fluffy. If you like creamy, buttery, but not too sweet , this recipe is for you!
For the amount of work this recipe entails, I was disappointed with the result. The frosting was smooth and a nice consistency, but very sweet. I won't make it again.
WOW!! I didn't have a thermometer for the syrup, so I was a little worried, but the recipe turned out great. I was also a bit concerned that the icing might br too runny, but the refrigerator took care of that. After about 1/2 hour, the icing was much thicker. I frosted a chocolate zucchini cake (#20658), with this icing. Very gourmet!! THANKS!!!!!