Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This ice cream will keep its flavor for a while if you pack it firmly in a small metal bowl, cover it tightly first with plastic wrap and then with foil, and put it in the freezer. It’s so delicious, though, I doubt you’ll have any left over.
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups light cream (or 1 cup heavy cream plus 1 cup milk)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- yellow food coloring, a few drops (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar and stir to combine well.
- Gradually add the cream, salt, and, if desired, the food coloring, stirring constantly. Continue to stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture into ice cube trays with the dividers removed or into an 8 x 8 inch METAL baking pan. Cover tightly with foil and freeze until the mixture is solid around the edges and mushy in the middle. Stir well with a wooden spoon, cover with foil, and continue to freeze until completely firm. Serves 2.
- Dori Sanders’ Country Cooking.