Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe that was MIA for 15 years while unpacking after the move to Florida. It is delicious and starts with a frozen pound cake. The filling starts with 2 packages cook and serve vanilla pudding. Cook time is for the almonds and pudding only.
- 16 ounces frozen pound cake, thawed
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (3 ounce) packages vanilla pudding mix
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 lb sweet butter
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Slice pound cake into 1/2 inch horizontal layers.
- Set aside.
- FILLING: Combine pudding mix, milk and salt and cook until thickened.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Stir into cooled pudding.
- ALMONDS: In a skillet melt 1/4 cup butter.
- Add almonds and cook until golden brown.
- Grind until consistency of corn meal.
- TO ASSEMBLE CAKE:.
- Cover cake layers with pudding.
- Frost top and sides of cake with pudding.
- Top with ground almonds.
- Store cake covered in refrigerator.
This is a wonderful and easy recipe!! I have used it for years. However mine calls for one more DELICIOUS STEP, sprinkle each layer with Rum before adding the filling/frosting. Try it you'll like it too. :-) Ingrid