Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very easy cake to make. The four main ingredients are used with equal quantities, which is why it is called Four Quarter cake. It can be made with either apples or pears or any flavouring you like (I tried it with coffee essence once and it was fab').
- 150 g sugar
- 150 g butter (softened but not melted)
- 150 g flour
- 3 eggs
- 3 -4 apples or 3 -4 pears, peeled,cored and sliced
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven at 200C/400°F Grease a round non-stick cake tin and put the slices of fruits in the bottom.
- Mix butter and sugar together and add the eggs one by one, mixing well until smooth.
- Sieve flour with baking soda and add it progressively to the butter mixture.
- Pour the mixture on top of the fruits and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Check the cake is done with a skewer.
- Let the cake cool down before removing from the tin.
Very quick to make. A nice cake to have with afternoon tea - went down well with my co workers. I used tinned apple and had to increase the cooking time of the cake slightly, but it still turned out well.