Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Taste of Home. My kids used to call this "Basagna" - it's one of their all-time favorite meals.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups 4% cottage cheese or 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded & divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked and drained
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain.
- In a blender, process the tomatoes until smooth.
- Stir into beef mixture along with mushrooms,tomato paste and seasonings; simmer 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, cheddar, 1/2 cup mozzarella and eggs.
- Spread 2 cups meat sauce in the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Arrange half the noodles over sauce.
- Spread cheese mixture over noodles.
- Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Yield: 12 servings.