Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This was SO easy and SO delicious. I was afraid that much garlic might be overpowering, but the long cooking time made it just perfect!!! Recipe from www.foodnetwork.com, courtesy of Alton Brown
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (broiler or fryer)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 40 peeled garlic cloves
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and brown on both sides in a wide fry pan or skillet over high heat.
- Remove from heat, add oil, thyme, and garlic cloves.
- Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken from the oven, let rest for 5 to 10 minutes, carve, and serve.
Please don't be put off by the amount of garlic here folks! I made this for my husband and 2 sons, who are not that crazy about garlic, and they all loved this. I kept my chicken whole and baked it in an oven cooking bag. It turned out perfectly. The house smelled so good! And the juices made a great gravy with a roasted garlic flavor.