Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
I've been making these sugar cookies forever! Made them when I was single and have been making them since my children were little where they would help me roll them out, cut them into shapes, and decorate with colored sugars. They still help me make them. These are always at our Christmas table.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg, lemon peel and vanilla.
- Beat in dry ingredients until combined. Remove from bowl onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Shape into an even square or ball. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease about 5 cookie sheets.
- With a serrated knife, divide dough into quarters. Wrap 3 of the quarters of dough in plastic wrap and place back in the refrigerator.
- Roll the quarter that is not wrapped between 2 sheets of wax paper -- or, flour both your surface and top of dough. Using a rolling pin, gently roll out cookie dough until even to about 1/8" thick.
- With floured cookie cutter(s), cut dough into desired shapes.
- Place shapes onto the greased cookie sheets. If using colored sugars, decorate with the sugars at this point.
- Bake 8 - 9 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
- Repeat the process with remaining dough.
- NOTE: I've always tripled and quadrupled this recipe.
- NOTE: If using decorative icing, decorate with the following decorative icing recipe once cookies have cooled. Different colored icing can be achieved by adding food coloring.
- Decorative Icing:.
- Beat all ingredients in a large mixer bowl until smooth and thick, about 5 minutes. Store in tightly covered container up to 4 days. Makes about 3/4 cup.
- NOTE: I've never decorated these with the decorative icing due to time constraints (but have always wanted to). Therefore, I can't confirm if the decorative icing is the perfect amount to ice the specific amount of cookies produced from this recipe.