Recipe by Chrishly20
My grandma makes a version of these every Christmas and we fight to see who gets one (or more) before they're gone. I turned them into a party-pleasing dessert for my husband and his buddies during football season. Note: make these on a full stomach or you may end up eating too many while you decorate. (Cook time = refrigerator time)
Top Review by aeht206
It took a lot of trial and error but I finally got some great looking footballs! The kids loved these, more than the football game, I think! The grownups thought they were very tasty too!
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 (12 ounce) bag milk chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup peanuts
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) packageblack sparkle decorating gel
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together powdered sugar and peanut butter.
- Portion mixture into approximately 36 balls (1.5 Tablespoon size).
- Roll balls between the flattened palms of your hands to create a ball shaped like a top. Then roll ball on flat surface to smooth middle into more round shape leaving the ends with points creating the football shape. Arrange finished footballs in a single layer on wax paper and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Melt milk chocolate chips, 3 tablespoons butter, and 2 tablespoons shortening over double boiler. Mixture should be thin and shiny for dipping.
- Crush peanuts and set aside.
- Coat footballs with chocolate by rolling gently in melted milk chocolate while still over double boiler, being careful not to crush pointed ends. Place on wire rack to allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- While chocolate is still tacky but not still wet, place bottom of football in crushed peanuts
- Draw line on top center of football using black gel frosting.
- Melt white chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon butter in microwave and place in frosting bag or sandwich bag with cut corner and draw laces and end lines.
- Return finished footballs to refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled if you don't want your fingers all chocolatey or room temperature if you don't mind.