Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the way I make my chicken and dumplings. It is the perfect comfort food for a cold day. My husband does not like dumplings, so I boil some egg noodles on the side and add the chicken soup mixture for him, minus the dumplings. None of us care for boiled chicken so I use the rotisserie, which as a different dynamic and layer of flavor.
- Shred rotisserie chicken into bite-sized pieces using 2 forks.
- Melt butter in a stock pot on medium heat and add celery and onion.
- Cook until vegetables are translucent.
- Add water and chicken base and bring to boil.
- Blend in cream of chicken soup, and then add salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and chicken.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Bring to boil and add WHOLE biscuits (do not tear).
- Cover and cook 10 minutes. (Do not remove lid during this cooking time.).
- Reduce heat, remove lid and cut biscuits into bite-sized pieces using a serving spoon.
I made this as written with the exception of adding some carrots that I needed to use up. The base was super, super tasty! The dumplings were not a type we were generally used to, but ok. Next time I use this recipe, I will probably either add some noodles instead for a tasty soup or substitute the dumplings we are used to. Thanks for the good recipe! Made for Fall 2009 PAC.