Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is a simple recipe if you have a good kitchen mixer. Add any seasoning that you would like. From Phyllis Stanley. I used Kamut flour and it turned out well.
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons garlic oil (or salad dressing with an oil base)
- 3⁄4 cup cottage cheese or 3⁄4 cup sour cream or 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons saf instant yeast
- 3 -5 cups unbleached flour or 3 -5 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
- garlic oil, to pour on top of crust
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place all ingredients (except for extra garlic oil) in the bowl of the mixer, starting with 3 cups of flour. Turn mixer on and add more flour until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl; knead for 5 minutes (unless using spelt or kamut flour, then knead for 3 minutes.).
- Sprinkle 2 paddles or wooden boards generously with corn meal.
- Oil hands well and shape into 2 large dough balls; roll out to 1/4 inch.
- Using a soft brush dipped in cool water, brush top and sides of each circle of dough.
- With your fingertips, make indentations all over the dough.
- Pour garlic oil lightly all over the dough so that it cullects in the indentations.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds, parmesan cheese, garlic salt, pepper or whatever herbs you like all over the top.
- Transfer to preheated stone and bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown (if baking 2 at a time, increase the time 2-4 minutes).